Are you looking for a way to make decent income on an ongoing basis? If yes then you should start your very own online shop. Nowadays, it is one of the most popular ways to make money. To build your website you don’t need to take the services of a developer or web designer. There are dozens of ready-made scripts that can help you get started. Most of these software programs are targeted towards inexperienced people who lack technical knowledge. Moreover you don’t need to pay huge sums of money to purchase a license because some of the most popular scripts are free to use. That means you can start earning money without spending a single penny.
In this article we will look at the two most popular ways to create a feature-rich and powerful store:
Using a Content Management System (CMS)
Content Management Systems like WordPress and Joomla are frequently used to create storefronts. The reason behind the popularity of these systems is their user-friendly nature and superior SEO features.
WordPress can easily be transformed into a robust online shop. All you need to do is install a shopping cart plugin. Some e-commerce themes have built-in shopping cart systems. ThemeForest is a great place to find such themes. Joomla, on the other hand, is a bit difficult to use. The number of shopping cart extensions is not that high and most of the templates don’t have any built-in features. However you can use VitueMart to power your Joomla store.
Here are some pros and cons of using CMS for e-commerce:
– Customization is extremely easy. You can add new features with the help of plugins and extensions.
– With a little effort your site can reach the first page of Google.
– These systems are completely secure. It is almost impossible for intruders to find loopholes.
– The WordPress community consists of millions of webmasters, bloggers and developers. Therefore you can quickly find help.
– The wrong combination of plugins/extensions can mess up your website.
– Since a CMS is not meant for e-commerce you mind find some unwanted features in your script.
Using a Stand-Alone Script
This is the second way to create an online store. As opposed to the general-purpose content management systems mentioned above, e-commerce programs like OpenCart were built just for one purpose: to build powerful shops. Here are the pros and cons of using these programs:
– Since stand-alone e-commerce programs are not dependent upon plugins and extensions, they are very stable.
– You don’t need to deal with any useless features.
– Installation can be quite difficult because many one-click installers don’t support these scripts.
– Customization can also be a problem. In most cases users have to hire professional design and development firms.
Hopefully this article will help you make the right choice and build a profitable online store.